The City of Orange Beach is located along an area of the Gulf of Mexico coast that has a high probability of experiencing flooding caused by hurricanes and intense rain events. As a beach community, the City's position on the shoreline places its citizens and the built environment at risk for flooding from storm surge and the subtropical climate brings heavy rainfall with the potential to cause flash flooding to low-lying areas.
The City of Orange Beach is dedicated to reducing the risk to life and property by effectively administering Floodplain Regulations within its corporate limits. It is important that our citizens are not only aware of the risks of residing in a flood hazard area, but also are aware that education, prevention, and mitigation are steps that you can take in advance of an event. The City of Orange Beach recognizes that our entire community is susceptible to flooding, not just those structures located within the flood hazard areas.
The City maintains Elevation Certificate information on all developments within the Special Flood Hazard Area. This information is available at the Community Development office.
If you have any questions or would like additional information about your flood risk, flood insurance, mitigation, Elevation Certificates, or a flood zone determination for your property, please contact Floodplain Administrator Adam Roberson, MCP, CFM.
- Above the Flood: Elevating Your Floodprone House, FEMA-347 (2000) (PDF)
- Answers to Questions About the National Flood Insurance Program, F-084 (2011) (PDF)
- City of Orange Beach Flood Information Outreach Letter (2021) (PDF)
- Coastal Construction Manual, FEMA-P-55, (2011) (PDF)
- Elevated Residential Structures, FEMA-54 (1984) (PDF)
- Flood Risk and Flood Insurance (PDF)
- Homeowner's Guide to Retrofitting, FEMA P-312 (2014) (PDF)
- Mitigation of Flood and Erosion Damage to Residential Buildings in Coastal Areas, FEMA-257 (1994) (PDF)
- Protecting Building Utilities From Flood Damage, FEMA P-348 (2017) (PDF)
- Protecting Floodplain Resources, FEMA-268 (1996) (PDF)
- Protecting Manufactured Homes from Floods and Other Hazards, FEMA P-85 (2009) (PDF)
- Reducing Damage from Localized Flooding, FEMA 511 (2005) (PDF)
- Repairing Your Flooded Home, FEMA P-234 (2010) (PDF)